Friday, February 5, 2010

Messin with Mother Nature

A couple of days ago I stuck a whole bunch of Camellia cuttings. February 3rd to be exact. I got them from some good friends of mine, Christine and Tony (Thanks Guys!)
I have been told, split about 60-40 positive, that I should not try to root them now. The 60 percent that says YES,TRY IT, have done it very successfully this time of year. The other 40 percent think I should have waited until May or June. I am the type that loves to mess with Mother Nature. However,I do keep remembering that old Parkay commercial, "It isn't nice to fool Mother Nature" Be it as it may, I have cut the Camellias and I have stuck them in my interesting, yet I think, EFFECTIVE propagation chambers. See for yourself:

Basically, what you are looking at are 2 liter soda bottles. I took the labels off, punched holes in the bottom and cut them around the middle almost all the way around. Then I filled them with a mixture of Sand, Peat Moss and Perlite. Watered well. I cut the stems at as much of an angle as I could, and stripped the bark off another inch or so. Dipped them in rooting hormone. Used a pencil to make the hole. Inserted the cutting, packed the soil in around the end. I closed the bottle, with Duct Tape and wrote the variety on the tape. Then I placed the bottle in very bright light, with bottom heat, in a very warm room (74 degrees average).
I will be happy if I get 75% rooting success.
I read about this type of rooting chamber online somewhere, I wish I could remember where so I could give them credit. I will keep you posted as to the status of the cutting and the progress they make.
Happy Growing!

No comments:

Post a Comment