Saturday, January 30, 2010

Don't tell me that!

I have always been one of those people where if you tell me you can't do something, I am going to try it. Whether it be just to prove them wrong or to learn why it can't be done, I am not sure.
Yea, I know there are certain things that just are NOT going to work. Growing a Coconut Palm in South Carolina in a greenhouse, won't work! For those of you that don't know why....a coconut palm will reach heights of 100 feet. That's a BIG greenhouse!!
I had many people tell me you can grow a Papaya in a container, but it won't fruit for you. I think the next two pictures will tell you how well THAT worked out!!



The fruit was/is fantastic! These are pictures from a couple of years ago. I had eight fruit on it this year. They are still ripening as of this posting.

Cactus was one of the first plants I really got into. This guy is about 15 years old. Yea, I know what you are saying.....of course you can grow Cactus in containers, but this big?!


This is an overall shot of my Citrus all in containers. This was back when I had 109 varieties. Lots of work.


This one is a little harder to do. These are brambles, (Raspberries, Blackberries and Boysenberries) The Teepee type supports work and you need to keep a close eye on the watering. It is well worth the extra work for the Jelly and Jams that I have made, not to mention the occasional snack while working in the yard.



The biggest thing I would like you to take from all this is:
Don't let people tell you that something can't be done!! It may be a little more work, you may need to put a little extra time into it, but the rewards are a great motivator.
Happy Growing!
Darren

No comments:

Post a Comment